Sunday, August 6, 2017

Making Spaces Pt 1

Hey, who wants to watch me start another project and wonder if I'll ever complete it? You do? Great!

I've been watching some of the insanely amazing tutorials over on the My Froggy Stuff YouTube channel, and I've been wanting to try some of them out for a while. In particular, I like the foldaway houses. Since I didn't have any huge cereal boxes, I looked around the house for something similar. I realized that I have several of the boxes that I get Finn's special cat food in. So here we go!

First I covered the inside with paper. I realized quickly that cutting off part of the tabs to open up the ceiling was going to be necessary because the inside was way, way too dark! Partway through removing the first section of cardboard, I had the thought that making the sides open up could add some nice additional space. Here's an idea of how that first attempt went:

That did add some nice extra space! I decided that the thing to do at this point was plan how I wanted the space filled. That led me to remember the My Scene dollhouse spiral staircase that I've been saving, and that's led to some interesting thoughts on where to put the thing. It's kind of huge.

I added on another small extension to the floor at this point, and put out a few dolls and some furniture. That staircase is HUGE! I also began playing with some of the scrapbook paper I got ages ago at Walmart, thinking that neutral colors would make versatile walls.


I like how deep Rapunzel and Francesca appear to be in conversation, there.


Meanwhile in the background, Danai is wishing there was an actual upstairs to go to and escape their gossip. She's also providing me with a visual on the approximate size of a doll bed, a duty that was supposed to be Rapunzel's until she got distracted. 

At this point, I screwed up big. I went to fold in the floor and wall extensions, heedless of the fact that the white paper wasn't going to stand for it, and ruined a lot of work on the floor extensions and walls. I dug through more paper today, and have probably painted myself into a corner (or a large, blank wall) on how to resolve the two patterns I have used so far: 


Here's a top-down view, which helps illustrate just how massive that staircase really is.

Without a doubt, that thing is going to have to go on an extension, somehow. Here's the other extended wall.


I'm stuck at the moment. None of the other papers I have really make a good transition from stripes to the damask pattern, other than some of the dark ones. The dark ones, I'm afraid, will make the room too small.

Here's a random Barbie next to the staircase, to show the size once again. I think I can cover up that missing piece with paper and some paint. I've needed to break down the box my Pang Ju doll came in for a while now, but I noticed these spiffy windows on the sides. I don't know if I'll use them for this room, but they're too cool to toss.


...And then I bought more Clearance dolls. Don't judge me too harshly, Supergirl and the Fashionista were each $4, and the Musician Barbie was $9. I used my $8 in leftover giftcard money to get her for a buck, so I don't feel bad about that at all!




8 comments:

  1. LOL, I love that intro! You and I think alike on projects! That being said, I hope you'll get to complete this project, because it's off to a good start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our battle cry shall be "I'm frustrated thinking about the old stuff! Time to go on to something new! CHAAAARGE!"

      Delete
  2. LOL, not finish a project?! We doll collectors don't do that! *cough cough* Looks like a great start to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, of course we don't! That's crazy talking!

      Delete
  3. I've got a book of scrapbook paper around here somewhere if you want it. The patterns are mostly black and lime green though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wrong; the patterns are all black and white. There's also pages of cutout frames and such.

      Delete
  4. I adore My Froggy Stuff. I also have a started room box project somewhere.... Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I swear, My Froggy Stuff is *dangerous*! She makes such amazing stuff look so easy!

      Delete