Thursday, May 25, 2017

Old vs New: Marvel Legends Rocket Raccoon

Apologies for the lighting on this one, it's dark here and this place is like a cave. So here on the left we have the first Marvel Legends figure of Rocket Raccoon, released just a bit before the first Guardians of the Galaxy movie came out. I bought this guy before watching the film, just on the off chance that I liked him and couldn't find him later. I loved him and was glad I got him, as it turned out. 

On the right, we have the Marvel Legends figure from the second wave of the Legends series that corresponds to the newest film. I've been losing my mind trying to track this guy down. Our local shops didn't have him, and finally I resorted to eBay to get my sassy anthropomorphic evil genius space raccoon fix. Why?

First off, I love Rocket. Secondly, this is a much, MUCH better figure than his first one!

First up, let's talk accessories. While both figures came with a Build a Figure part (GotG 1: Groot, GotG 2: Mantis), the accessories for Rocket 2 are much more interesting. I have never completed a BAF, so I didn't bother with getting a figure that came with the BAF part this time. What am I going to do with Mantis' torso, anyway? I digress.

Anyway: ACCESSORIES! Rocket2 comes with two headsculpts. There's the open mouth, very angry RAWR! one above, and a snarly one that I prefer of the two. Both of them are a bit wall-eyed, but that's nothing a tiny dot of paint won't fix if it starts to bother me.

Rocket2 also comes with two different blasters which are much more interesting than the big giant weapon thing from the first movie that Rocket1 had, and a teeny tiny Baby Groot, whose spooky eyes look straight into your soul.

Baby Groot's figure scares me.

Here's Rocket2, showing off how he can hold his space gun. You talkin' to him? You callin' him a RACCOON? He's going to feed you lasers and spit on your grave.

That's right! Lasers! For all of you!

Okay, take a look at this. Rocket1 absolutely CAN NOT stand unassisted. His tail has a weird little "why did we bother making this a joint?" joint that swivels it around, but he can't stand unless it's positioned to hold him up. Rocket2? He *can* be persuaded with only a little bit of a challenge, to stand unsupported. His tail isn't touching the backdrop at all!

You can also kind of see the one thing that doesn't absolutely thrill me with this figure, he has a loose left wrist joint. The peg isn't hard to pop right out of there. It's easy to get it back in, but it makes me worry that I'll lose the darn thing. I think this may just be a minor flaw in this particular figure, though.

Back to the "roaring" head here because I think it's funny to show that not only can Rocket2 sit, he can be made to look like he sat on a tack.

He is not amused.

Rocket decided to take out his frustration on his predecessor, and demonstrate another facet of his superior poseability. Look at that.

I do like the face sculpt on the first Rocket figure more, but while it will go on, it doesn't fit. I just wobbles around like a bobblehead.

Sadly, the peg on the old figure is much larger. Too bad.

Here's a look at more of Rocket2's joints. As you can see, he's got neck, shoulder, elbow, wrists (rotation only), torso, hips, thighs, tail, knees, and ankles (again, rotation only). It's honestly impressive. Creepy Baby Groot, get out of my shot.

Where the old Rocket had only eight joints, the new one has a whopping seventeen! AND you can actually pose his tail and he'll stand up!

He can even (almost) do the splits! It's absolutely impressive!

It's just too bad he hasn't got a more tranquil expression. Maybe when Volume Three comes out?

4 comments:

  1. Poor "older" Rocket, usurped by a younger hottie. That Baby Groot looks like a zombie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, well honestly Rocket1 hasn't even seen much playtime, he's so difficult to pose interestingly that I usually just leave him on my shelf.

      Baby Groot's figure is *terrifying*. I can't even explain it. It's like he's looking into your soul and trying to decide how hungry he is.

      Delete
  2. How on earth did they manage to make BABY GROOT creepy?!

    Then again I'm still wondering how they made him adorable too. Very thin line there isn't it?

    ReplyDelete