Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Dollar (General) Amber

Today I happened to find myself in a Dollar General, which was having an odd "All Yellow Star Toys 90% Off!" sale. There wasn't a lot to choose from, but I spotted this little doll and couldn't think of a good reason not to check her out for a buck.

Amber here is from Disney's Sofia the First series, which I'll admit I've only seen the first episode of. Daughter of the King, she is unimpressed with commoner Sofia being her new sister and fellow Princess at first. I understand she got better about it. 

Anyway, Amber was originally marked as $10, which I feel is amazingly optimistic for a doll who's only about five inches high and has a one-piece dress, a stapled-on crown and a single extra accessory. 

Here's the back of the box, which has a nice picture of Amber, who is apparently giving Sofia's image the side-eye. 

Speaking of side-eyes, Amber's got a remarkably Quasimodo-like set of wonky eyes going on. 

The little charm accessory has the same image of Amber as is on the back of the box. 

Out of the box, Amber is already getting no respect.

Under the dress, which is decently constructed and doesn't seem to be shedding glitter everywhere just yet, Amber has five points of articulation. Her arms swivel in their sockets, and her hips have some extra hinged rotation in them for some additional posing ability. She's oddly broad-chested.


Amber's small, so she'd make a good small child or toddler for a Barbie-size doll. 

Honestly, with the flip in her blonde hair, she reminds me of a toddler-age Charlotte leBoeuf from The Princess and the Frog. 

I think Amber's original price of $10 is rather ridiculous, but for $5 she'd be decently priced. She's well-enough made and her dress is nicely done. For $1 though, she's an amazing little doll.







8 comments:

  1. I can't tell, are her shoes permanently on her feet? The cat doesn't seem to mind her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they're just painted on her feet.

      Delete
  2. Somewhere Eugene is spazzing right the hell out. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No no, it's fine I just wondered WHOSE KID IS THAT!?

      Delete
  3. I wonder if lack of attention to detail like in Amber's eyes is what helped Mattel lose its account with Disney.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that the lackluster attention being paid to the Disney Princess line, plus making their own competing line of princess dolls (Ever After High) is mostly what killed their deal. Although Mattel's own lines are prone to wonky eyes too. I've seen some truly amazing bad faceups on Monster High and EAH.

      Delete
  4. 90% off! Now that's a sale!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, it was crazy. The selection was *very* picked over, but I was excited to find an item for a price I was willing to pay.

      Interestingly enough, I've seen these types of sales and buy one get one free sales a few times at the three Dollar General stores here in town. The sales seem to be at the whim of the store manager, because the other two won't have a deal like this going on just because one of the others does. (Frustrating!)

      Delete