Tuesday, March 28, 2017

GOTG2 Minimates = Big Disappointment

Just a week or so ago, Toysrus.com had a special going on where they were offering free shipping with no minimum purchase. I had a $5 rewards coupon that was rapidly nearing its expiration date, so I decided that clearly I needed to find something to buy.

Since I couldn't snare a 40th Anniversary R2-D2 Black Series figure (sold out) and Hera Syndulla hasn't hit the market yet, I decided to look through the available Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2 figures. It seems that Rocket isn't due out until wave 2 (!?), so instead I found this set of Minimates figures.

Perfect, Rocket and Groot can go all Thelma and Louise in my Minimates KITT from Knight Rider. Gamora can ride shotgun.

I'm honestly not a huge fan of the style of the Minimates figures. The Michael Knight who came with KITT seemed pretty well constructed (He sadly was mauled by the Finn-monster), though. I had decently high hopes for this set.

On the back, you can see the other sets that are available.

Gamora is fine. Her limbs feel a little like "cheap plastic", but everything works as it should and you can take her trenchcoat's bottom half off by pulling the torso off her legs and taking the "skirt" part off her.

Groot is styled to look like he has joints, but he's a tiny little static figure. He's positively dwarfed by Rocket's enormous gun.

Rocket, the main reason I even got the set? His tiny little stubby right leg broke off the first time I tried to move it at all. I've got some plastic cement on there right now in hopes that at least he can stand up in the future, but yeah- I'm extremely disappointed. I'm honestly afraid to try moving him or Gamora anymore because I don't want to play "what part breaks off this toy next?"

Rocket's tail, like Gamora's long coat, appears to be a part that you can remove and exchange with another figure, but I'm not going to try pulling it off there. The other dang leg will probably break off. The figures comes with bases, so assuming that I can get them onto the things without more breakage, I guess that's where they'll be staying. Maybe these things have been built better in the past, but I can't recommend this set. Glad I didn't pay full price, for sure!

4 comments:

  1. Boo!!! Cheap construction!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was a let-down for sure.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I guess this is what I get for trying to take advantage of the sales all at once!

      Delete