Saturday, October 8, 2016

Quickie: Family Dollar Droids

It's that time of year again, when the toy aisle starts to expand and the offerings get just a little more interesting. I was browsing the new selection of holiday offerings, I found some of the oversized 11" action figures. No big deal, except that these included...


DROIDS! Sorry for the lack of in-box pictures of BB8, I actually got him yesterday and was so excited to get him open that I didn't think of taking a box photo until I'd shredded his restraints.

There aren't any instructions for putting together his accessories, which came disassembled, but a little bit of scrutiny made snapping them together a simple thing. I have to admit I'm disappointed that they didn't include his little welding torch. Instead we have a buzz saw and a grasping arm that doubles as a shock prod.

Okay, it's not the most convincing electricity in the world, but for $10, I'm impressed that he came with accessories this elaborate at all. I got a $5 off a purchase of $25 or more coupon on his receipt, so today I went back for the R2D2 that I'd seen lurking in the back of the box.

R2 is wide enough that it was necessary to ship him with only one leg attached. His accessories are a pair of side-mounted hoverjets. Not as impressive as BB8's range of accessory arms, but okay. To be fair, R2 has three points of articulation, where BB8 has just the one (head).


Time for cute robot death match! The smart money is on R2, he's killed more humans and droids than BB8's probably ever spoken to.

"WAGH!"

Then again... BB8 may just be hiding a stone old murderer under that cute and cuddly appearance.


I'm not entirely sure how these figures are for scale with the line of figures they go with, but here's my custom Hera Syndulla for comparison. I should get my Dagobah 1:6 R2 out and compare him in a more in-depth post. I now have a serious need for a C1-1OP from Rebels at this scale, too!


Hm, R2 looks like he could be a little big? We'll have to compare everyone more in-depth next time!

8 comments:

  1. Is R2 oversized or is Hera really short? You decide!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Hera is kinda short compared to Kanan...

      Delete
  2. These are great for the price! I'm so looking forward to the full Family Dollar holiday reset...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really pleased with them! Especially getting $5 off R2 with the coupon from my receipt when I purchased BB8!

      Delete
  3. BB8 and Hera compliment each other color wise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They definitely will photograph well together!

      Delete
  4. I'm used to how disproportionate and dainty MH are compared to other dolls so to me the scale doesn't look too bad. The figures are adorable and I have a soft spot for R2D2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the sassy little astromech droids, but R2 is my fave too!

      Delete