Friday, January 1, 2016

Looking Around at what's new.

Hey! Guess who went shopping after Christmas? Here's a few things I saw.

You gotta admit that the Shopkins Shoppies dolls are cute as heck, even with their odd name. Personally, i think the line of collectible purchasables is.. odd. i admit that i don't get it and the Shoppies dolls just confuse the issue more. The dolls are cute, though. I think my favorite is Donatina, here. The closed mouth on her face mold is a lot sweeter-looking than the weird open mouths the other dolls in the series have. (So they befriend and wear or eat the Shopkins items? Just trying to make sure I understand this!)


A dad on the doll aisle was loudly complaining while I was there that these toys are "literally made to TEACH children to spend money!" Well, he's not really wrong, I guess.

In case you wondered, this is what the top of her head looks like.


She had a cute little cart which came with some chokeably-small Shopkins minis. These will apparently be devoured alive by Donatina and her cart customers.


A couple of regular-size Shopkins appear to know this is the fate of their tiny brethren, and delight that they are probably not sharing this grisly end. The brush, however, appears to be trying to ignore the situation.


The back of the package features Donatina's bio.

I also visited a very nice Dollar Tree store, which had nearly been picked clean by holiday shoppers. I grabbed one of these Monster High Inner Monster add-on packs. Just the shoes were worth the $1 price tag!

Tuesday Morning had these cute mini Madame Alexander "dolls of the World" called Play Travel Friends. They're like child versions of the cheap "world" dolls that I remember every hotel gift shop having when I was a kid! I'm not sure if they all share the same face mold, but they're all pretty darn adorable.

The emotions from Inside Out made an appearance on this store window. Cute.


On to Target! The weirdly bobblehead-looking Hasbro Disney Princess dolls were also rolling out. Target also had two-outfit sets for Elsa or Anna for $20 each.


Kristoff and Anna featured in this two-pack at TRU. These dolls appear to be about the size of Ever After High dolls. They also look like they have big feet. I wonder if they can share clothes?

I don't care for the style of these, myself. I did see the head from one of them (a Rapunzel) on a Barbie Made To Move body on Flickr that looked pretty great, though.


These posable ponies are interesting, but I didn't really inspect them closely. 

(Photo via Amazon)
Target also had the Equestria Girls minis. There's an "every day" individual figure of each character in the core cast, plus a sleepover set for all of them but Rainbow Dash. At least, the shop I went to didn't have any? The sleepover sets have a unique mold (head and outfit) for the doll from what's on the every day version. Pinkie's sleepover set was the most expensive. $20 for hers, versus $15 or so (I honestly forget the exact amount) for the others. Pinkie's has the most furniture and accessories, though.

That is Boneless the chicken on the wall back there! I almost talked myself into buying this set just for that chicken. On a related note, I would like to buy that chicken.


Gummy the alligator also is included. I wish Pinkie's set didn't cost $20!

(Photo from Amazon again)
 I got the every day version of Pinkie by herself, which honestly was more than expensive enough. Yowza. I paid about $9 for her. She's cute as she can be, but she can NOT stand unassisted. The heads on these dolls are SUPER heavy, and due to the way Pinkie's hips are done, she can't seem to keep her legs straight beneath her. Lean her against something like a wall and she just starts sliiiiiding down into the splits. It's weird to watch. I'm going to try rubber banding her legs together to try and straighten them out.


She has, however, thoroughly enjoyed watching me rehair an Applejack toy to make a Cheese Sandwich custom, though. We're still working on that.

6 comments:

  1. CHEESE! IS THAT CHEESE YOU HAVE THERE? CAN PINKIE HAVE SOME CHEESE?

    The Shopkin things creep me right out. Also I have to ask, what is the difference between teaching your children to spend money and teaching them the value of a dollar? Cause it seems like you can't do one without the other to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The argument basically boils down to the toy could be seen as just teaching kids to buy a lot of stuff. Whether it's in playtime, or with their allowance irl. The "collect them all" lines are set up to weasel as much money out of you as possible, and if you're really trying to collect Shopkins like Pokemon, you're going to be buying a LOT of playsets and blind baskets to get all the figures. Most kids in the target demographic for Shopkins are not spending their own money, they're spending mom and dad's (or grandma's, or whoever). And that's part of why the dad who I saw at the store was complaining about. His kids were begging to get the new playsets that are out just because there were different characters in it, with HIS money. (They had, I overheard, already spent all their Christmas money)

      Delete
  2. The humans are the predators in Shopkins land... it seems like the fridge horror of that would eventually convince children to consume as little as possible.

    MH add-ons at Dollar Tree? Everybody's DT is better than mine... *sigh*

    Did you see the weird forest creature fairy not-very-articulated Ever After High people at Target? If so, what did you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's weird, isn't it? Of course, considering the kids I've seen excited about Shopkins ("NEW stuff to collect YES!"), I bet most of them haven't had that thought yet. XD

      Oh man, I WISH that store was my local DT! The store was about twice as big as my local one. It even had a frozen food section!

      I've seen pics online of the EAH pixies, but haven't seen them in person yet. The pics I have see have revealed them to be a lot bigger than I expected (I was thinking they'd be the size of Barbie's littest sister), which kind of makes their limited articulation (head, shoulders, hip) a disappointment. I think they're kind of neat, but I hate the stylistic choice of having them have human ears AND animal ears. That's just kind of one of my pet peeves, though. Their dresses are one-sided and they don't come with a stand, so I'm probably not going to grab one unless Deerla is a decent color match for MH Howleen or something. If I spot any in person, I'll be sure to post about 'em!

      Delete
  3. I wish my Tuesday Morning ever had cool stuff like I see other Tuesday Mornings get. I have some of those Madame Alexander dolls, and I bought a couple more for my niece. I'm disappointed, because MA had a couple more lines of that type of doll at Toy Fair last year, but they never got produced, probably because the International ones didn't sell well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, there's three in the city I like to do most of my once-in-a-while shopping in, and usually only one of the three has anything interesting IF one does at all. Oddly, it's never the same one, though!

      Aw, that's too bad, the dolls were pretty cute. I think I saw some of them on TRU's website awhile back. I think it would help the MA stuff a bit if it wasn't so darn high, though. :(

      Delete