Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Disney Store update: Athena spotted!

Heads up, the Disney Store site has a lot of new stuff, including items from the upcoming film The Good Dinosaur, fashion packs for fashion dolls, such as this one for Rapunzel that includes another take on her wedding gown and a really nice Pascal for about $13. There were also sets for Aurora (blue dress/best dress), and Jasmine (also a wedding set).



 But what's got my imagination at the moment is a 10" "Action Figure" of Athena from Tomorrowland.

"Action Figure". See, it says it right there on the box. That means it's totally awesome and not a goofy, silly doll at all. ACTION FIGURE. I liked Tomorrowland. There, I said it. It definitely had some problems, but I felt like I "got" the message that it was sending. And it was a good message. It's not too late for you to dream, no matter who you are or where you are, and even though the future CAN be scary, you have to keep believing that it's going to be better. ..Because if you're afraid of the future, and obsess over how scary it *could* be, you'll build that future for yourself. Granted it got muddled around a bit and could have stood some editing in places, but I enjoyed it. And I wanted a Tomorrowland pin.

Anyway, they have a lot in this box. First of all there's Athena herself, with fingerless(!) gloves, denim jacket, and a messenger bag that would make Indiana Jones proud. She's also got some spiffy red sneakers.
  
 In addition, she comes with her "Chicago World's Fair" outfit, including long gloves, flats, (An Indy hat!), and that fateful pin. In the tradition of the upgraded "singing dolls", this Action Figure set is priced at $35. I want it. I can't even really explain it to myself. I suspect the doll action figure body is similar to the current Classic dolls, just with shorter legs or something, and the price is a bit... pricey. Still.. I worry a bit that even though the film wasn't that popular, she might sell out.

 

I've been to a Disney park exactly once, and during our visit, my favorite "land" at Disney World was retro-futuristic Tomorrowland. I loved it, in all its' dated, 1970's echoing the 1960's looking at the future glory. So seeing the "world" that park section was supposed to bridge to was amazing in the film.

And again, I WANTED that pin. Luckily for me, Disney Movie Rewards had the pins for a shockingly low point redemption (one per customer) not too long after the film came out, so I was able to get one there. So yay for a tiny bit of reprieve from want. Still though.. if these are around long enough to go on sale.. I think I'm going to end up owning Athena.

6 comments:

  1. I also really liked Tomorrowland and am fairly tempted by Athena... but not enough to swallow her price at this point. I'm with you on the "if she does on sale" idea, though... Good luck getting her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee hee! Maybe no one else will like her and we can get them on clearance! XD

      Delete
  2. I still haven't seen that movie, but I do love how Tomorrowland looks exactly like it came straight out of Ratchet & Clank.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It FEELS very Ratchet & Clank in places! (I do dislike the open, though)

      Delete
  3. Not that I've been living under a rock, but I don't have cable or watch live TV (except judge shows) so I rarely know when new movies are coming out. That doll's face is interesting compared to the usual Disney fare. I'd like to see it in person.

    ReplyDelete