Sunday, September 27, 2015

New Things Popping Up!

Since the Christmas shopping season is coming up fast, I have been noticing a few new things here and there. A recent shopping expedition revealed these new items. 

Starting at Walmart, I found a plethora of AMC's The Walking Dead merchandising from their miniature figure/playset building line. To my considerable pleasure, Melissa McBride's character Carol has finally appeared in the line, in one of two prison cell playsets.


Carol appears in the Upper cell set, which as the box picture notes, can be stacked atop the Lower cell set. The lower cell comes with the walker shown in the foreground of the photo.I don't think it's supposed to be any walker in particular.



No eyes, but other than that I'm impressed at how well painted Carol is. She's got a gun in one hand, and her knife in the other. These cell sets are about $13, and I'm dying trying to figure out where I could put one. I need Queen Carol, guys. Bad.


Dale's RV, as seen in seasons 1 & 2, is also in this line. Dale himself comes with the RV, along with some chairs, an umbrella, and of course, a few walkers to sneak up on anyone unsuspecting. I could be wrong, but I don't think there's any play space inside the RV.


Governor Philip Blake's assault vehicle is also here, which is kind of fun. The only serious problem I have with these McFarlane building sets is that the little figures for them are SO hard to get to stand up.


Next stop: Toys R Us! The store I visited has devoted a chunk of retail space to a Claire's Boutique accessories shop, moving the dolls all around. The Disney doll aisle had several new offerings, including these coronation/bed time dolls of Elsa and Anna.


I was excited by the idea of a more detailed Elsa coronation gown until I noticed that the design doesn't go all the way around the skirt. (What's with those SHOES?!)


Couldn't see Anna's shoes, but her dress is also one-sided.


The collars of the night gowns were unfinished, but the idea is cute, at least. The dolls also came with sleep masks and high heeled houseshoes in a peachy-coral color for Anna...


And purple for Elsa. I think the design printed on the night gowns was the same, just in different colors.


There was also a "Signature Collection" set of the sisters in their signature looks.


And this set, pairing Anna with a pony-sized version of her horse from the movie. I think the design printed on the saddle blankets is nice. I can't help but wonder what happened to shrink Anna's massive horse into this pony, though. Anna's dress is a removable skirt on top of a molded-on top. She's also been given a small green cape to keep the cold off.


I'll be the first to admit that I don't really get the Shopkins thing. They're cute, but I'm always a little baffled by them. I did see two preteen girls gasping dramatically over some new playsets in the manner usually reserved for spotting members of a boy band on this trip, though. So I guess they do definitely have fans. These little light-up blind bags were (as far as I know) new during my visit.


You'll notice that they're $.50 more than the blind baskets which contain two instead of one individual item, though.


I guess the light up feature makes it worth it, if you're into these, though.


This was so bizarre that I just had to get a picture of it. An entire rack of figures inspired by the defunct (I think) series Johnny Test. Why do these exist? Why doesn't something like this exist for Steven Universe? Or The Amazing World of Gumball? (I'd buy the HECK out of minifigs for TAWoG!)

There was a lot of Star Wars merch, but nothing that I wasn't sure had been seen a millions times before on other blogs... except for Kanan Jarrus, the car. If they'd only had a Hera car, I would have bought the set! Speaking of Hera, I'm finally getting close to having that doll DONE! *rejoicing!*

7 comments:

  1. I don't get Shopkins, either! I don't care for static molded figurines in general, but shopkins are the worst because they can't be used as props (except if you want to recreate the fridge where your weird roommate put googly eyes on all your food).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think they're pretty overpriced for what they are. They look like something you'd get out of a gumball machine to me. They ARE cute as they can be, though. The Shoppies doll line is apparently popping up in a few places, but I don't know how I feel about them. There's something about the faces that has a sort of "cute yet creepy in a way we didn't intend" vibe.

      Delete
  2. I'm vaguely tempted by the nightgown sets, but not enough to run out and buy them just yet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they had just wrapped the design on the dress skirts all the way around, I'd have bought another Elsa, no question. The nightgowns were pretty cute, and a fun addition. They'd be great clearance finds, though!

      Delete
  3. What the. . Why is Elsa wearing shoes made of blocks of dried ramen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Budget cuts hit the kingdom of Arendelle hard this year...

      Delete
  4. I only started watching The Walking Dead this year on regular TV so all the good blood and gore is cut out. I wouldn't mind having some TWD figures but I would want them 1:6.

    ReplyDelete