Sunday, April 5, 2015

Custom in Progress Update: Hera Syndulla

Just a quick update on how Hera is coming along. I've stitched up her sleeves, designed and sewed the leather upper part of her jumpsuit (genuine leather!), and installed snaps on the clothing. Badly, but they're there. I also took off a bit of her factory faceup, which I'll be salvaging a bit of when I repaint her. Her shoes have still not arrived yet, so she's wearing some borrowed ones for now. Here she is so far!

Front view: 


Back view:


So I guess the next step is the detail work on her outfit, since I'm putting off the gloves, lekku and her headpiece until last. I think some large pearl buttons may end up being used for her ear covers. One thing I have goofed up on is that I managed to put the snaps for her blouse almost right underneath the snaps for the flight suit. In fact, the smarter thing to have done on the blouse would have been to make it a sleeved body suit. It has a tendency to try and ride up a bit when you put her suit on.

Well, that's a note for the inevitable version 2, I guess. I'm not so sure that it wouldn't have been smarter to make the blouse and suit all one piece, for that matter. I wanted the ability to use the blouse on its own as a separate, but the layering of fasteners has definitely made me wonder if that was such a good idea. Hera's a bit thicker looking than the average Monster High doll because of all the layers in her clothing, but I think I kind of like that. For now, at least.

(This post has been updated on 2017.09.09 with relinked images. Thanks for nothing, Photobucket!)

13 comments:

  1. She looks good so far! Sewing doll clothes is hard. My OOAK Kristoff's shirt has a huge hole in one of the seams because it was so small. :(

    MLM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! There's definitely a learning curve, I've discovered. Unfortunately, I'm learning what I shouldn't have done mostly after I'm done doing it. XD

      Poor Kristoff! Maybe you can fix him up with a new shirt?

      Delete
    2. I'll probably just try to re-attatch the one sleeve. I've found that it is easier to sew clothes for larger dolls like the 16 inch singing princesses. :)

      Delete
  2. I like the look of her so far - it's always brilliant to see how custom doll projects play out piece-by-piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope she continues to go well. It'll be embarrassing if I mess her up!

      Delete
  3. I'm loving the look of her. The vest details are nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope the rest of the detail work comes out looking decent.

      Delete
  4. She looks awesome! I love star wars rebels! My favorite character is Ezra, I'm actually working on a custom star wars character that I created for my art blog, I really want to make custom dolls of Ahsoka tano.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Oh man, Ahsoka would make an amazing doll. I was stunned when she appeared in Rebels' season finale. I still want the doll they made of Shaak Ti back when the prequels came out, ha ha! I'd love to see your custom in progress!

      Delete
    2. Thanks! Shaak Ti would be awesome! I was so shocked when Ahsoka appeared, Me and my sister were so hyper! Barris and Luminera and Aayla would also be great for dolls too!

      Delete
  5. Did you already repaint her face?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not yet, I just removed the beauty mark, lipstick, and the majority of her eyeshadow. I'll probably try and pare her eyelashes down even more before I try and repaint her.

      Delete
    2. I *thought* she looked different.

      Delete