Saturday, February 14, 2015

Happy Valentine's - er, Happy CLEARANCE Day!

As I've mentioned before, the local Walmart store typically has a huge clearance sale once a year. Usually they do this in the fall, and typically they just start slashing prices down to 75% off or better, just to be rid of old stock. It's arguably the only cool thing that the store does.

Well this past year, they didn't do it.

They DID have a big clearance sale, but only knocked a few bucks off of most items, and there were hardly any toys present. After a run of fantastic bargain shopping in the past, it was a tremendous let down.

Well at Christmas this year, the store put out the big pair of tables and covered them with stuff for the shopping season. Then the tables just... didn't go away. And then they started adding more stuff to the tables, so clearly something weird was going on. I actually picked up a couple of things this past week, such as a Barbie bicycle with basket, and lugged them around for a little while before I decided I should save my money. On a whim, I went in to the store and low and behold... CLEARANCE. Up to 75% off of the original prices!

I uh... went a little nuts. I discovered that Hunter and Ashlynn's box had a second price sticker bumping it down to $10 on the bottom, so I snagged it for $10, plus the bike for $10, the single Barbie fashion came up for $1.50, and then I think I paid $2.50 each for the four "two outfit" packs. And then another $2.50 for Tiana, because I've been wanting a Tiana.

I also grabbed one of those Barbie fashions left over from back at Christmas (You know the ones, right? In the plastic sleeve instead of a blister card?) which came up for $5, but I think I'm taking it back. I am just not a fan of clothing that only has the pattern on one side.

So, ignoring that item, this is my haul: approximately $30 of dolls, accessories and clothing. Not too shabby. I can think of worse ways to spoil yourself for Valentine's Day! I just wish they'd had more than one bike left!

8 comments:

  1. Those were some great deals! Nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, thanks! I've been waiting for ages for a big sale, I couldn't help myself.

      Delete
  2. I love a great sale. I found the new accessory packs on sale for $1 at one store. I picked up a couple of the shoe packs. They work great for my flat footed ladies aka Poppy & Darla. I didn't check the accessory packs. I have to go back LOL. If they're marked down like that I can return the others bought at full price :O)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, I LOVE those new accessory packs! I haven't seen them under $2.50 anywhere, though. I really hope Mattel keeps making those, they're wonderfully versatile!

      Delete
  3. Not too shabby indeed! Now those are some great prices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely worth waiting for! I was perhaps overly-pleased to discover that the other pack in the "two outfit" sets, which I'd treated myself to back at Christmas, was sold out. I'm always mad at myself if I find the some item for much less later on!

      Delete
  4. Excellent haul!

    You are my inspiration for actually going to Walmart, as I really need to do a full grocery and household shop anyway, but I'm feeling uninspired at the prospect. Even if my Walmart is nowhere near as exciting, I've gotten to enjoy the possibility that it might be...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the time, mine is pretty dull. The most exciting thing at the moment since the clearance is pretty well gone is that the reset of the toy section has been dragging on for over a week now and everything is just tossed everywhere with no regard for proper shelving or common sense. (who leaves stacks of stuff in the aisle floor? Honestly?

      Hope you find some treasures!

      Delete