Tuesday, September 23, 2014

$3 Flea Market Dolls

I still need to get on that Anastasia doll post, but let's procrastinate some more! I picked up a few dolls at the flea market this weekend. There's an old man who shows up every week with a truckload of toys, VHS tapes and the odd batch of PS2 games. He always has a bunch of Barbie-size dolls (typically dressed with shoes), that he sells for $3 each. Usually, I buy these just for the clothes/shoes, as the dolls are in general no great shakes themselves. Sometimes you find one of those awesome super-articulated 12" GI Joe dolls, though! This week I got a Justin Bieber doll who looked fresh out of the box, and a Skipper who was wearing an orange-themed Mary Kate and Ashley doll outfit.

Great for fall/lounging around the house!
Eugene couldn't wear the red jeans that came on Justin, but the rest of the outfit works well with a pair of autumn-color shorts. The MK-A outfit is a bit small on Rapunzel. Maybe Punzie can use it as pajamas?

He's giving you "the smoulder"!
Oh, you may have noticed that this isn't our usual Eugene. Remember the "Sparkle Princess" line Flynn Rider I bought awhile back? Well, I rebodied him onto a Ken Fashionista body (goodbye molded-on shoes/pants!), and he looks pretty darn good. This also means that he's taller than my custom Eugene, who is on a Jake Liv body. Not sure what the ultimate fate of the Eugenes will be. Maybe an epic showdown, Highlander-style? Anyway, I also went by the local "antique mall" (read: consignment junk shop), and perused my favorite booth there. I came home with these three ladies.

So for another $3 each, we have another fully-articulated Fashionista Barbie, a Disney Store Rapunzel (with articulated legs!), and a Liv doll. Come on, can't say no to ANY Liv doll! I don't have a project in mind for her or Barbie, but I like having the bodies around to use if the need arises. The Rapunzel doll, however, I did have something in mind for. Remember how Finn broke Anna's right arm? Well, I hoped that this Rapunzel would be a good body donor.

Anna is a ghostly vision in that dress, but doesn't want to give it up.
However, Anna's seen less sunlight than even Rapunzel has, and is a stark pale tone that just won't mesh with Rapunzel's more peachy tones. Rapunzel's body is bound to come in handy at some point, though. Maybe I'll rebody her Disney Store brunette self on there? There's also the matter of her dress.

This'll be fun to explain to the royal tailors...
Apparently DS Rapunzel has been pioneering the latest in tearaway skirt technology, which is sure to revolutionize the mooning industry. I didn't think my mediocre sewing skills were up to the job of fixing this, and there wasn't much holding the bodice to the skirt, so...

One visit from the scissors-fairy later, Punzie had one seriously styling blouse that's sure to look great with a skirt but also looks pretty cool with just a pair of jeans and sneakers. Hm.. Maybe I need to be browsing eBay for more "TLC princess gowns" to give this treatment to?

I like this look! It's as cute and quirky as Rapunzel herself is!

9 comments:

  1. I have done that to so many of those period dresses. They just don't hold up well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least they make spiffy blouses at the end of their "dress" life!

      Delete
  2. And Sinadea marches past with a protest sign, singing the "Pants" song... :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Throw off the tyranny of skirts! Join the pants revolution!

      Delete
  3. Punzie is sooo rockin' that shirt ! Love what you did with it - wish my supply of Disney dolls hadn't suddenly dried up. Once upon a skirt...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope more great dolls come your way soon, Dorrie!

      Delete
  4. I love Rapunzel's new look -- excellent quirky street style!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The skirt looks cheap in comparison to the bodice, good thing you cut it off! I have some doll dresses I want to separate too, but I'm keeping both parts because they are both usable.

    ReplyDelete