Monday, August 25, 2014

Quickie: New Strawberry Shortcake dolls

I'm on a roll lately, aren't I?

You may recall that Nii, my resident dream demon, is a custom mashup of a Monster High body and a Strawberry Shortcake head. (On the girl doll bodies, you can just pop them on!) I saw that some of the newest incarnation of Miss Shortcake and friends had made their way into K-Mart this weekend, and one of them came home with me.

This is Cherry Jam, who cost me $8 and fails entirely to smell of cherries, jam, or anything sweet. Honestly, to me she smells like Play-Doh. Not an unpleasant smell, one that definitely makes me nostalgic for my childhood, but not one that I'd describe as smelling "Berry Sweet".

C.J. says "Hi!" She comes with a one piece dress, a removable plastic headband that is probably wide enough to fit an Ever After High doll, removable shoes, and a comb.

I think I prefer combs to brushes, honestly. Easier to pick out tangles with, and you can use this one to play pogs. Are pogs still around? C.J.'s hair is very silky and soft. I doubt it'll be prone to tangles.

Her leggings are painted on, and the sakura detail on her dress (as well as the polka-dotted "layer") is an applique. The cherries on her shoes are printed on as well.

Here's C.J. next to an older Strawberry Shortcake doll I found at the thrift store. As you can see, she's shorter, and the style of her ankles/legs means she can't share shoes or socks. I do vastly prefer the face on this doll to the older ones, though. Even my 1980's Strawberry Shortcake always struck me as a little creepy with those tiny, beady eyes. These newer dolls have slightly smaller heads, as well.

C.J.'s dress is too small of Strawberry, but the denim skirt works okay for C.J. The top, on the other hand, is way too large in the torso. She looks like a precocious Candyland orphan. Oh, and here she also demonstrates something that the older style dolls couldn't do... hold her arms straight out from her sides! Earlier dolls that I've seen only had back and forth motion. C.J. here can rotate her arms out as well as spin them around. So... why am I picking up more Strawberry Shortcake dolls? Well...

Nii thinks it would be fun to have a kid.

And really, C.J. isn't a terrible height for that job. In fact, she looks like she could work pretty well at it. I'm not sure yet if I'll try to trim back her hair and install a set of horns on her or what yet. Frankly, I'm just sort of amazed at how cute they are together.

And perhaps a little aghast, as well. Ree's so appalled that this is happening that his hair came ungelled! (Poor guy!)

He's just going to have to learn to deal, though. C.J. may end up on a new body and with a new name, but I think she's here to stay. I think I see a certain resemblance between them, don't you?

4 comments:

  1. Lol, I LOVE that pic. Nii looks EXACTLY like she's trying to talk Ree down from a panic attack. XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, I do see the resemblance. She's a cutie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's the eyes, I really love the eyes on these new dolls!

      Delete