Friday, August 1, 2014

Quickie: The $1 Paradise Kids doll

I'm managing to accumulate more stuff than I talk about again! That's not good, so here's a quickie about a not-so-new acquisition of mine: an 18" Paradise Kids doll.

I was disappointed that the Journey Girls doll I bought awhile back at the thrift store was so... spooky. She's since been cleaned up and gone back to look for a forever home, but about a month ago I spotted another large doll out in one of the big Rubbermaid bins that comprise the local thrift's toy section. Well, why the heck not for $1?

She came nude, but the pretty peach dress I got in another lot awhile back (yay! Fill a bag for $1 is back!), looks good on her. Her body is almost identical to my Madame Alexander doll, except Paradise has a little bit of extra motion in her neck joint. As you can see, she can actually tilt her head a little, and it gives her a much more expressive range of motion. Her hair seems to be a cheaper, more flyaway and frizz-prone stuff, though.

She's just a little taller than the Madame Alexander doll, and has a more mature face. I've sort of tentatively decided she's the brunette doll's older sister. They look like they could get into a lot of trouble together.

6 comments:

  1. With the way they are dressed it sort of seems like they are from different eras and the blonde is a ghost that follows the brunette around. Yeah, I've been watching horror movies all day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Yeah, I probably should have dressed the blonde in a more contemporary fashion, huh? Of course, blondie's got funky eyes that don't really show up in the light right.. If this doll turns out to be haunted, I swear...

      Delete
  2. That peach dress is really pretty. Does it fit your Madame Alexander doll as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, it fits the M. A. doll much better! It's a little tight on the Paradise Kids doll. It's a piece someone handmade, I think. I don't think it has any tags or anything in it.

      Delete
    2. I've seen worse handmade doll dresses! And it looks like it would be too long for M. A., I'm surprised!

      Delete
    3. It's pretty long; if memory serves, it comes down to her ankles. It fits around her beautifully, though. It's just a *bit* tight on the Paradise Kids gal.

      Delete