Tuesday, June 10, 2014

$5 Deal at the thrift store

What I've discovered when dealing with the local store is that it's not the amount of stuff you buy, it's what it's in when you buy that determines how much it is. For example, the $1/Walmart bag deal, vs. the $10/case deal.

This deal came packed in a big plastic tub, and I almost told them I didn't need the container to save a buck or two. But like mom said, you never turn down a reusable plastic container that comes with a lid!

Here's what my $5 bought:

Furniture and pets! The crib is missing a leg, but is otherwise in nice shape. The cat and dog have a surprising six points of articulation, each. All four legs, plus their heads and tails. I think they were part of a Barbie vet set? The little school desks are pretty cute, but I'm not sure what I'll use them for.

Accessories! I'm not sure what all these pieces are from, but I think there are a few vet set bits and bobs in here as well. The shoes, surprisingly enough, pretty much all had mates!

Proof! The pair to the right is a set of ice skates that are missing their skates. Don't feel bad, prior-owner child. I did that to mine, too.

Outfits! I think I have these paired up correctly...?

Shirts! (and a jacket or two) Apparently Barbie went through a phase where she wore clothes with her friends faces printed on them. I find this really weird as a concept.

Shiny... stuff...?

Pants and skirts!

Dresses! and a purse.

Shiny swimwear!

Babies. Including two EXTREMELY large babies. I think they went with the desks. Holy crap though, look how huge those two are.

Ken jackets/shirts...

MORE Ken jackets/shirts...

MORE Ken clothes...

And some Ken accessories. Awwww snap. A firefighter helmet? I'll warn you all, I have a firefighter coat someplace, and we WILL be seeing hot firefighter Eugene Fitzherbert at some point!

And lastly, DOLLS! I'll probably keep a couple of these, like the redhead on the end. She's adorable. Weirdly enough, the cheerleader in the jacket has inset eyes!

She's either cute or spooky, I'm not sure which. Definitely not a Barbie, though.

The store threw in a boxed doll they had in the back, for $1, since I was carting out all of this stuff! I'm not familiar with the Swappin' Styles dolls. I think they're the ones with the removable heads, though?

So that's my haul of the moment, which I'm still sorting through. Lots of the clothing has stains, so I'm going to have to wash it all before I decide for sure what I'm keeping. I've got a few dolls that are going to be donated back to this store (or maybe a different one so that they don't try to sell the same stuff to me twice!), and I think I'm going to get some baggies so I can pack a dressed doll and maybe an extra outfit with them. Dressed dolls definitely get adopted faster than nudes, it seems.

Some of these clothes are just too "80's/90's trendy" for my collection, but as a bonus outfit with a donated doll, I think they'd find a new home easily.

21 comments:

  1. Now that's a NICE haul! And shoes that match?! Unheard of, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shoes were an especially nice surprise after the walmart bag of singles awhile back, lol!

      Delete
  2. wow you get the best deals! I want to go shopping with you. this is what I know about a few of your new aquisitions....

    the two giant babies are Heart family kids. I had different versions of them when I was little. and I believe the Kelly on the right is the original Kelly that came in the pink pajamas the one on the left is wearing in a set that included the crib in the first photo. the swapping styles dolls do have the removable heads (I think it's the shoulders too, so they don't have the bust joint).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I've been lucky lately! It's usually the same 3-4 abandoned nude Barbies and an increasingly broken/dirty mass of plush and toy cars when I go.

      Thanks for the info on the dolls! I didn't have any of the Heart family dolls (I'd never heard of them until fairly recently), so they were pretty alien to me. The idea of Barbies with heads/shoulders you can swap is a unique one. I can't help but think someone at Mattel must have had a kid like me that would take popping the doll heads off as a shortcut to swapping outfits between dolls.

      Delete
    2. The first Kelly doll, that wore that pink outfit and came with that crib, had a hole in her mouth, where you could pop her bottle or her pacifier. I can't tell if either of your Kellys do.

      The redhead on the end that you like appears to be a Totally Yo-Yo Courtney, Skipper's friend. Her outfit looks original although her set is not complete. But she does have her yo-yo!

      Delete
    3. I think one of them does. There might even be a bottle or pacifier in the accessories that came with this stuff. I think I've already dumped them in with the rest of my accessories, but I'll have a look.

      Ha ha, my cats are fascinated by Courtney's yo yo. They'll watch it go up and down for as long as I'll humor them!

      Delete
  3. That "shiny stuff" looks like figure-skating costumes. Might look good on Abbey or Elsa if it fits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish they wouldn't use the shiny material for stuff.. it seems to get ruined so easily. This stuff's definitely too big for Abbey, but Elsa might have a go at it... with a little tailoring.

      Delete
  4. Great find, I'm slightly jealous of all those shoes! That blue Ken shirt looks like it might be part of a police uniform. The barbie in the black dress is a teacher I think, from the set with the heart family kids and the school desks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shoes were pretty exciting, especially all those sneakers! I think you're right on the blue shirt.. Interestingly, one of the shirts, on closer examination, is actually from a GI Joe! (The navy shirt)

      Delete
  5. The Barbie in the teachers dress actually goes with the star dress, green tube dress an the top with the vintage barbie pictures on it, she was a nail style Barbie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! I thought that dress looked odd on her! I'm glad that there are so many people around who know a lot about Barbie, I feel woefully ignorant about a lot of the stuff I've been finding. She's a gorgeous gal! I'll have to try getting her back in her stock since it looks like most of it's here! Thanks for the info!

      Delete
    2. Oh don't feel bad I don't know that much either the only reason I know so much about her is because 1. I have her an 2. Because I've seen her brand new I box at a antique store lol. An you the only thing that's missing is her shoes an idk what her shoes even look like since mine didn't have any either XP an welcome.

      Delete
    3. Lol, well I still appreciate the info! Actually, I think her shoes may have been in there as well! There's a pair of translucent teal shoes (lower right in the shoe pairs picture) that's almost exactly the same shade as the sheath dress. I bet those go with it!

      Delete
    4. I'm pretty sure those shoes go with it as well. One of my daughters owned that doll at one point.

      Delete
  6. Also I have her but I cut her bangs an i've regretted it ever since lol, especially since I thought of a custom to make her into.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, I feel your pain there! She has such lovely hair in such pretty colors!

      Delete
  7. I might be planning a trip to America just to get into that store of yours. Amazing stuff. One of my most loved dolls came from the flea market but that was a singular wonderful occurrence, every other time they sold plain garbage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish it was this awesome all the time. The "toy section" is an assortment of 4-6 large plastic storage containers that they just sort of dump everything in. Things that aren't bought up immediately suffer a slow, painful, increasingly dirty/broken death until they're finally thrown out. Someone had donated a Polly Pocket plane playset, and it's now in about four (broken) pieces, scattered around the shop. I'm glad the employees have started thinking of me when they see Barbie-size items, it's basically the only reason I've had such amazing luck finding stuff lately. They'd rather I buy it up than it be torn up/dragged around the shop, I guess! XD

      I've never had much luck at flea markets, either. Anything that is in halfway salvageable condition has a ridiculous price tag on it. There used to be some decent "antique" stores locally, but those have mostly dried up, too.

      Delete
  8. Do you (or anyone) know the name/brand of the doll on the left? (The barbies).
    I believe it's a barbie, but I don't know which one. She looks very much alike a Barbie my neighbourgh had and I was so fond of it! They had movable joints and she also had one that looked a bit asian and was a rockstar.. they sold them so shortley so I never got to have one. And ever since I have been wondering which dolls it are xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that one is Hollywood Nails Barbie. Sorry for taking so long getting back to you!

      Delete