Thursday, March 27, 2014

The Quest for Elsa's Coronation Dress

They've had a simply GORGEOUS set of Anna and Elsa dolls on the Disneystore.com site a couple of times now. For $70, you get Anna and Elsa in their coronation day outfits (and hairstyles!), plus two dress forms, their costumes from the later portion of the film, a trunk and a lovely patterned screen. I stared longingly at it on the trip where I bought my Anna and Elsa last year, and if it had been more reasonably priced (say, $50-55), it would definitely have come home with me.

I am not made of money, though. $70 is rather steep, and I feel confident that Disneystore.com or some other retailer WILL, in fact, put out coronation day versions of the dolls for something resembling a sane price at some point.

I'm not made of money, but I'm also not patient. So obviously, I needed that coronation day dress.
I found "Color Magic" Elsa at Wal-Mart today (the ONLY Elsa doll they had, I might point out), and decided that I'd waited long enough. Rather steep for $20 just for a cheap "knockoff" version of the coronation day dress, but I told myself that I'd find some use for the Elsa from this package. I've seen some amazing customs done with the Mattel dolls, like these, and maybe I could practice on her, at least.

The back of the package shows a photoshopped version of the doll, a demonstration of how the gimmick works, and a tiny, tiny picture of the Anna from this line. There's also a version of that Anna where she comes with a Kristoff, should you be inclined to want both of them.

I'll grant you that the print is pretty, but I doubt we'll ever be seeing it here.
This version of Elsa looks rather wall-eyed.
It's definitely a contrast with the elegant-looking Snow Queen on the packaging. The color of the hair and the length of the same is a much closer match, though.
Pulling off the back panel of cardboard reveals plastic tabs holding the backing in, and instructions (once again) for how to use the water applicator. I'm not sure that this level of instruction is really necessary.
Here's Elsa, still attached to the cardboard backing, along with her "magic" color-changing wand, plus her instruction sheet.
Elsa also comes with a really funky looking pair of purple shoes with a heel so sensible, my grandmother would probably have worn them. They look... kind of frumpy.
I was disappointed to note that the collar on Elsa's dress was unfinished! Maybe some fray-check would help delay the inevitable unraveling?
The doll also comes with a tiara, which is cast in gold plastic instead of being silver like in the movie.
The water applicator wand is impressively sculpted. If you check out the instruction sheet above, you'll notice that Anna and Elsa each have a different wand, which is a nice touch of individuality.
Those are some odd looking shoes.
Elsa's braid is secured to her arm with a rubber band. The ends of her hair are stuck together with styling product. If anyone's interested in an in-depth look at this doll's body and hair, I can take some more pics.
I felt really smart after realizing that I could snip those plastic things off the tiara with fingernail clippers.
Free of the tiara! The sculpt on this doll's face is actually rather nice. Her eyes look sort of blank and googly, though.
The doll body, on the other hand, isn't all that great. The whole body is hard plastic, and it has five points of articulation. Her shoulders swivel, and her legs pretty much have forwards and backwards motion only. Her head has a decent range of motion, but nothing outstanding. The only thing this body does better than Disney Store Elsa? Sit up.
The shoes were obviously sculpted to take into account the doll's arched foot, but still look rather tippy-toe when put on. They look weird.
Disney Store Elsa, of course, makes this cheaply-made thing look fantastic. It fits her as well as it did the original doll, which is nice.
I tried to recreate Elsa's coronation hairstyle by wrapping her braid around her head and securing it with a clear band.
It definitely only works from one side, though. Yikes!
Elsa decided she'd rather let her hair back down.
The Mattel crown doesn't fit very well, on account of the copious amounts of styling gel in her hair. I'd rather have her hair looking nice than the crown on her.
Surprisingly, the Mattel shoes fit Disney Store Elsa! They still look weird and kind of frumpy, but they actually aren't as bad on her.
Mattel Elsa can wear Barbie clothing. You know, if you actually want to keep her existing body. Personally, I'm thinking no.
Barbie shoes fit okay, too. These slip right off, due to the open-top construction.
Closed-top shoes are fine, however.

I'll probably be kicking myself for this purchase when Coronation Elsa is available solo for $20, but for now I'm pretty happy with having a coronation day dress for my Elsa.

6 comments:

  1. Who on earth picked purple orthopediec nurse shoes to go with that dress? They showed her shoes in the movie during "Let it Go" and she was wearing little flats with green stockings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who picked them? Someone with terrible, terrible taste. I thought about painting them black with green details like in the movie, but I think that wouldn't improve them much.

      Delete
  2. That's a good enough dress for now and the doll is perfect for painting experiments! Too bad there is no cape to cover the blue back showing at the shoulders. Does the colour-change feature work at least?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The color change feature does actually work, but it doesn't stay for terribly long. I'll take some pics of how it works and upload them.

      Delete
  3. What does wall-eyed mean?

    When I first saw the Frozen dolls I thought their eyes were way too big. However, after seeing the movie I think their dolls versions are pretty okay, this one included.

    I did find a Anna at the thrift store recently. She's not on an articulated body, but the head is very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wall-eyed is a sort of layman's term for the opposite of crossed eyes, where the eyes don't seem to line up properly and even appear to look in slightly different directions.

      It's funny, but I think the dolls actually have smaller eyes than the movie characters! (Those gals have some huge eyes in the movie!)

      Oh nice find! If it appears it's the Disney Store head but a less articulated body, then you might have found one of the Disney dolls sold at JC Penney. Apparently they use the same heads, but have bodies more like the Mattel version.

      Delete