Monday, March 31, 2014

Elsa vs. Elsa (plus color change dress photos!)

I previously mentioned how disappointed I was in the Mattel Color Magic Elsa doll, but I don't think I really demonstrated how sad her little dolly body really is.
Let's rectify that. First, there's the difference in coloration. DisneyStore!Elsa is a pale, pale almost lilac color, which means that unfortunately, she'd be a hard doll to bodyswap onto a new body. Mattel!Elsa is a more natural color, albeit a really really pale one. Mattel!Elsa also lacks the whimsical bangs that DisneyStore!Elsa sports.

Speaking of hair, Mattel!Elsa's hair is both shorter, and a paler color. this length and color is more movie accurate than DisneyStore!Elsa's, but DS!Elsa's hair is also much more attractively styled.

Mattel!Elsa has no articulation in her wrists, elbows, knees or ankles, so she's not going to be doing any crazy dance numbers.

However, she DOES have a nice range of motion for her head. She has trouble staying on the doll stand, but I'm sure you can tell that she can tilt her head further to the side than DisneyStore!Elsa. Her stiff body means that Mattel!Elsa looks like a quizzical, slightly tipsy robot, though.

Mattel!Elsa can also look further up than DisneyStore!Elsa.

But DisneyStore!Elsa is the winner on looking down. Aw, are you depressed, DisneyStore Elsa?

The biggest thing that Mattel!Elsa does impressively is sit. She doesn't have a fantastic range of motion in her hips, but she can sit flat on her rear at a championship level. This is how wide Mattel!Elsa's legs will splay when sitting (or standing).

And this is how she sits with them together. DisneyStore!Elsa meanwhile, can only sit like a clumsy toddler.

However, if you're not expecting her to sit around, DisneyStore!Elsa is fantastically graceful. Ballet class is not going to be happening for Mattel!Elsa.

Of course, the whole reason for buying Color Change Elsa was to rob her of anything she owned of value, though. Here's DisneyStore!Elsa in the Color Change Elsa coronation gown, along with the instruction manual and "magic wand".

Having had at least one Barbie with a similar gimmick as a kid, I must say that this applicator is much better than the lipstick tube-sized device I remember Barbie having. If you remember not to stand the applicator on the sponge end, it doesn't leak at all.

The instructions don't point-blank say you're supposed to use cold water, but it's easy to pick that up from context. Okay, moment of truth...


The first swipe reveals that the color change function actually works very well! The pattern shows up in a vivid twilight-purple color.


 Filling in the rest of the inset took only about a minute. If you're really lazy, you could just pop the whole doll into the freezer for this. It's not like Elsa will mind.

With just tap water, the color begins to fade after just a few minutes, though.


At about the five minute mark, the pattern is looking pretty blotchy and faded.


It took about seven minutes for it to be pretty much gone. Still, even if I never use the color change function again, it's a pretty good dress! Even with the collar unfinished, I'm happy to have it.At least until Disney Store puts out an afforable playline version of coronation Elsa!

10 comments:

  1. Even though she sits horribly, the Disney Store version wins hands down for me because of the fantastic styling they gave her hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her awesome hair and the incredible personality that they gave her face sculpt make her a clear winner to me, too!

      Delete
  2. Enjoyed the comparison - because I'm completely lacking in Elsa dolls, and hope to score one soon. I still prefer the Disney one, even with her wide sitting stance - but they're both lovely dolls. One day...

    BTW, is it possible to follow your blog ? I can't see how, but I'm kinda ditzy that way. Kinda ditzy in all ways, truth be told ! Slo says 'hi !'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On your dashboard page on the left side click the "Add" button under "reading list", paste her blog link in the field and click OK.

      Delete
    2. I think BlackKitty already answered your question (Thanks, Kitty!), but thanks for the follow!

      I really hope that the Disney Store fixes the sitting issue with future releases. I can't believe how hard it STILL is to find Elsa's dolls! I was in two TRU stores and a Disney Store just yesterday, and saw ONE color change Elsa at one of the Toys R Us stores. That's it. Disney Store didn't even have a section of Frozen merchandise anymore. (AGAIN.)

      Delete
  3. The pattern is cute! I too prefer the look of the DS doll although I have never held one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pleasantly surprised at how vivid the pattern really was. I don't remember the color change clothes gimmicks working nearly so well back in the 80's, ha ha. Disney Store Elsa is really (ridiculously) hard to find. I'm personally blaming scalpers for buying her up as soon as she was released, because she seems rather prolific on eBay.

      Delete
    2. Ah, that's not what I meant! I'm simply not interested in cartoon-inspired dolls enough to buy one new and never saw them at the flea market either - hence my lack of knowledge about Disney bodies. I'm not sulking about the shortage of Elsas. Still glad for those who found what they want!

      Delete
  4. Love this review! So fun :) can ask where you bought your doll stands? I'm trying to find some that are inexpensive but I love clear saddle type stands.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this review! So fun :) can ask where you bought your doll stands? I'm trying to find some that are inexpensive but I love clear saddle type stands.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete