Monday, February 24, 2014

Stardoll clothes and Disney Princesses

There's a store about a half hour drive away from me that buys up surplus stock from various stores and resells it at a discount. They have a strange and interesting mix of stuff. I don't know of anyplace else you can buy ceramic meerkats for your yard and Wal-Mart dvd sets. At least, no place else this close!

They also sell toys, and generally they sell them for 40% off retail. Apparently they're trying to get rid of some stock though, since they'd upped that to 50% off retail on my visit this past weekend. After sorting through the disorganized mess, I left with two prizes: A Stardoll and a Stardoll fashion pack!

Sorry for the potato picture. Next time I'll use a camera.
All together, I paid about $12 including tax for these two items. While the dolls themselves are pretty much just nigh-immobile mannequins, their clothing is nicely made. Additionally, their shoes fit Monster High dolls! As an additional bonus, the stands are decent. Not great, but decent.

This doll is one of the few I did not get a couple of years ago when my Wal-Mart just slapped a $2 price sticker on all the Liv and Stardoll stock to get rid of it. I'm pretty sure I picked her up, but just like the other Liv sleepover doll I'm certain I remember picking up, I think someone swiped her right out of my cart. Such are the dangers of Clearance Day.

It's interesting to note the difference in how the skirts from both of these sets were made. The fashion pack skirt is more traditionally made, but the skirt from the doll set has a ribbon to keep it in place, and can open up completely with the velcro going all the way down the back. I wonder why they didn't do all the skirts this way? It makes it a lot easier to put the skirt on... especially if you're trying to get them on the actual doll they were meant for. Stardoll's stiff, unmoving posed legs would NOT have gone into that striped skirt!


Rapunzel's Liv body generally fits Stardoll clothing pretty well. Except, of course, for the giant shoes. These soft rubber Only Hearts Club shoes look decent, though. This is the fashion that the doll was wearing, and I've got no complaints on how it fits. Previously, I've discovered that Rapunzel's body will be just a bit too wide, or that full length Stardoll sleeves will be a bit too short. No problems with that here, though!

The belt is cute, and keeps the pink fuzzy sweater from looking a bit... frumpy.

The top closes completely in the back on Rapunzel...

And it looks really cute, too!

The molding on the purse with this outfit is great. It almost looks like you could remove the flowers that are perched in it! (But you can't!)

Anna takes on the fashion pack outfit, and manages to pull it off, I think. Since the set's shoes didn't fit her, I left her in her own boots. I think it kind of works!

Though the gathering on the skirt is a bit... lopsided. What happened there? The top and skirt are, obviously, all one piece, which fastens in the back with velcro.

The blue bag is all vinyl, and while it could open with a little modding, I think I'll leave it as-is. The zipper detail is painted/printed on the material.

The Stardoll stands are just a bit high for the Disney Princess dolls. Anna's flat-bottomed boots exacerbate this a bit, making it look like she's floating. Considering how gracelessly she and her sister sit, though? This is an improvement.

The fashion pack also contained a skirt, a second pair of shoes, and a peach-colored purse. I found a couple of other Stardoll pieces to make an outfit out of these leftovers for Elsa. She doesn't seem to mind the mix-match nature of the outfit at all.
I've put this jacket on Rapunzel before, and the sleeves were just ridiculously long. The Disney Store Princess bodies fit the jacket MUCH better.

Elsa's Barbie heels come a lot closer to reaching the base of her stand.

The purse has a two-sided design of silvery studs, and a pair of molded tassels hang from one side. It's super-cute, and would probably match the peachy-pink dress that came in another of the fashion packs.

The skirt fits Elsa like a champ, but the top... looks a bit off. I've tried it on Rapunzel too, and well.. it doesn't fit her any better. I think this piece was just made irregular!

Elsa looks great (if washed out) in the doll set's clothing, too. I'm nearly certain at this point that Elsa can make almost anything look good.

Still washed out, but still gorgeous!


Meanwhile Rapunzel looks... off and cold in her end of this swap.

Poor Rapunzel. That fuzzy top just isn't very warm by itself!

The princesses had fun trying on clothes.

But Elsa's not swapping again for a while. You can rest easy for now, Anna!

The store only had two other Stardolls that I haven't previously bought, if they're there on my next visit, they may come home with me, too! Now that I know Elsa and Anna can wear this stuff, there's no reason not to pick them up!

4 comments:

  1. The pink denim jacket looks way better on Elsa than it does on Ama. It's WAAAAY too big for her, but its so big its sorta cute.

    And the pink sweater outfit looks great on Rapunzel. The crop top and striped skirt look a little bit trampy on her though. On Elsa it looks more like laundry day. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it looks TERRIBLE on Rapunzel. It's like she's a little girl wearing mommy's clothes!

      Ha, yeah Elsa even makes laundry day look passable. On Rapunzel though, yeah, it's just... awful. Just... awful.

      Delete
  2. That is one of the Stardolls I don't have. The black lady is the other one I'm missing. They just never got clearanced far enough for me. I was determined to get them at $7 and they stayed above $10. Some of the clothing I like, but some I think is way to skimpy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty in Pink (the african american doll) has GORGEOUS stock! I wish the dolls were more articulated, because the heads/faces on them are beautiful. I'm a bit let down that $8 is the best deal I've found on them since that awesome year I got almost all of them on clearance. I've seen a few of them marked down at TRU, but they're still over $10 when I've seen then there.

      The clothing is kind of a mixed bag in terms of styles, but pretty much all of it seems to be nicely made, at least.

      Delete