Saturday, January 25, 2014

Thrift store find: Our Generation doll

The gal in red is a new thrift store find, an Our Generation doll. This 18" American Girl knockoff is from a line that (I think) is a Target exclusive, made by Battat.


I found her wearing this battered red dress and (random) riding helmet at the local shop. She came home with me for $2.

She has a wire armature inside her limbs, which gives her freakish cartoon-character bendy arms. My Madame Alexander (still nameless) doll was horrified.
Her dress does not fit well. In fact, it gapes open in the back. I thought this meant her dress was another off-brand.
But to my surprise, the dress is by the same company. Maybe this dress was from an earlier (or later?) version of the line?

Comparing blondie here with M. Alex, you can see that M.A. is rather hippy. O.G. has slightly longer legs, an all-cloth torso, and a slightly older looking face.
M. Alex fits in O.Gen's dress much better, and her vinyl shoulders mean that the neck of the dress actually looks nicer on her, too. A little cleanup on the hem of the skirt and it might look pretty nice.
It even closes in the back for her!

I've noticed that the display for the Wal-Mart 18" dolls is gone, and today I saw that Toys R Us brand Journey Girls seemed like they weren't being restocked either. Is the American Girl knockoff market drying up? 

8 comments:

  1. Purr: O.O

    ...WHY does she have reflective eyes?

    *backing away slowly*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're bright blue, it probably has to do with the material more than that, though.

      Delete
  2. Purr: Look at her pupils in the first and sixth pics. That is freaking eyeshine. O.O;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Purr: If you want one of us to die, sure.

      Delete
    2. Hey, I didn't send you the rastabanana!

      Delete
  3. I get the riding helmet and think it's quite spiffy. But how does a riding helmet go with that dress?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure, either. Maybe the logic was that they were both red?

      Delete