Sunday, January 19, 2014

Taeyang Willy Wonka

After much deliberation, I bought this swanky gentleman for myself as part of my birthday/post Christmas spending spree.
Photo credit: Amazon.com listing
I'm one of the weirdos who preferred Johnny Depp's Willy Wonka to Gene Wilder's. (It's the tunnel recitation, mostly. That scared the crap out of me as a kid and I never forgave Wilder's Wonka for it.) Oddly enough, this is the only Johnny Depp who does anything for me.
Photo credit: Tim Burton productions, I think?
Anyway, here he is in the box. You can see all his little accessories are tacked up on the sides and back.
And thanks to Monster High, I can't see that window as anything but a coffin.

Side view of the box. (Sorry for the bad lighting!)

Back of the box.
Everything's attached inside the tray, and it's a little surprising to realize how much is in there with him. (Instruction sheet not shown)
Does he look frightened to you? I feel like he's looking a little freaked out.
And here he is, out of the box, with all his accessories and things!
Ah. Freedom. How sweet it is.
The attention to detail is amazing, which made it all the more surprising that his cane wasn't made to look like it was full of Nerds candy like in the film.
100% Nerds-free?
His hat is quite dapper looking, even though it does attract every speck of dust in the room like a magnet.
A big head calls for a big hat!
The band of the hat is actually a little off-center from the back of the hat. I'm not sure if this was accidental or on purpose.
He also comes with his gloves, which look rather mitteny. I think I'll be leaving these in the package so they don't take to wandering off one at a time like Anna's.
Mittens. For your protection.
There is also a pair of goggles, as in the film.
Let's beam away some bratty kids!
They have thick white elastic to hold them on. I'll be leaving them in the package for now, as well. 
He also comes with a metal and plastic stand. The molded plastic is chocolate brown in color. 


 If you believed hard enough, it might actually be real chocolate! The raised filligrie is a nice decorative touch.



Lastly, Willy has a collector card. Note that they even got his stylized "W" monogram right!

Willy's coat is a sturdy corduroy material, and holds it's shape well. It has a tag that says "Taeyang" on the inside lining.
Details include nicely-applied buttons on the sleeves.
One thing I don't like about this coat is that it sheds everywhere! Will's hands (and feet) are a softer vinyl instead of the hard plastic that the rest of his body is made of, and his hands are excellent at picking up bits of shed fluff.
Fuzz?
 Here's Will minus his coat. He has long black pants and a double-breasted looking long sleeved shirt which has metallic gold cuffs and collar instead of the paisley pattern he sported in the film. He also has silvery socks on under his shiny black shoes. Under THAT, he was encased in almost skin-tight plastic, which was a pain to safely remove without cutting him.
Black is very slimming.
His soft plastic shoes look pretty much identical to the ones in the film. The socks make getting the shoes on and off even easier. Notice that the pattern on them makes a large "W"!
Will's got beautiful violet eyechips, and with the mechanism included, can change move his eyes, wink or blink. His wig has nicely silky-feeling hair.
"Ohai."
Look left.
"Where are my Oompa Loompas?"
Look right.
"I'm sure they must be here somewhere."
Wink left.
"Looks like it's just you and me!"
Wink right.
"You know what THAT means...!"
And full blink. His eyelids have a cocoa-brown color to them.
"It means I'm going to close my eyes and hope you go away."
Under all that black, Willy Wonka is very, very pale! And the back side of his body is absolutely full of screws.
"Oh great, the dream where I'm in a doll review naked."
And I'm not sure if it was like this to start with or not, but mine has a slightly loose-feeling right shoulder joint. It just feels kind of... wiggly. His right leg also shows a distinct tendency to want to slide out at the knee, but this is quickly remedied by just pushing it back in gently. His neck also has an extra point of articulation at the collar, which adds just a little bit more movement to him.
Wiggly loose shoulder.

So what fits Will? Well, so far I've discovered that 1D doll pants are a slightly loose fit, where Disney Store Prince pants (and classic Ken pants) are even more loose. Mattel's Flynn Rider shirt fits okay with a little cinching, and Monster High boy shoes fit him fantastically.
"I assure you that I really AM Flynn Rider!"
Current Ken clothes (or at least Eugene's pinstripe suit) are just a little tight, but look pretty nice!
From the back..
Just a little tight.
Yep, pretty nice.
Okay, this is getting out of hand.
One thing to note, I discovered during this that his wrists will only bend perpendicular to the faint seam on his wrist.
There it is. Don't loose track of it!
Also, his feet can and WILL come off if you put shoes that don't have sufficient give on him, then try to take them off. I have no pics of that because I was freaking out that I'd broken him. Luckily, they pop right back on.


All in all, I'm happy to have him in my collection since I love the character, but I'm a bit put off by how delicate he is. I want to try posing him more, but I'm afraid something will snap and break! For $50 on Amazon.com, his fragile frame is a little disappointing. Maybe after he's hung around a little longer, I'll feel more daring with displaying and posing him. For now though, I'll be storing him in his box. Will was a bargain, but that doesn't mean he was cheap.

6 comments:

  1. Purr: He's both cute and creepy at the same time. The fragileness is teh suck, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really should have taken more photos of all his joints. It's amazing how many there are! I was afraid to get too crazy with moving him around after his foot came off, though. XD

      Delete
  2. I think he's creepily cool and he looks quite dapper in all the outfits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to do a full-on fashion shoot with him in different outfits, once I work up the nerve to play with him again. I wish his purple eyes showed up a little better, they're beautiful but they get lost in the smoky color around his eyes.

      Delete
  3. I haven't seen the WIlly Wonka Tae Yang but he's very cool. The Gene Wilder Willy Wonka movie scared me as a kid too. I thought all the other children had died, like when Augustus got sucked up into the chocolate milk straw, or Violet turned into a giant blueberry and floated away. I completely missed the part at the end, in the glass elevator, when Charlie asks what happened to the other kids and WIlly Wonka tells him that they were restored to normal, but perhaps were a little wiser. Funny how kids misconstrue things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I missed the discussion on how the kids were okay at the end of the movie when I first saw it, too. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete