Thursday, October 10, 2013

Thrift Shop MEGA-HAUL!

I had stopped going in to the local thrift store every day lately, reasoning that they usually seemed to have better stuff if I waited a day or two between trips. Plus that keeps the staff from thinking I'm a complete weirdo. This theory (the one about better stuff) bore fruit in an amazing way this week.

I hereby present to you... THE MEGA-HAUL!
Think you're ready for this $3 box?

Finn and Phantom are intrigued. Okay, let's get started, because there is a LOT to see.


First up, this Madame Alexander 18" doll. I've never had a doll like these American Girl knockoffs before, and honestly, I never really "got" the craze. The dolls seemed too big, clunky and awkward to me. The opportunity to check out a similar doll for next to nothing was pretty tempting, though. I kinda like her, and will probably come back to check some of these items in more depth later. This doll did find a too-small top and slightly too-big jacket in a bag of miscellaneous doll clothes I was getting ready to give back to the shop, though. 

I'm not really sure what this doll is from, or why she has been stripped of her clothes. (swiped by other shoppers?) She seems to have pretty nice hair, but she made Finn sneeze.

Next up, plushes! Eliza Thornberry isn't staying, but I'm intrigued by the fire-fighting angel lion. Yes, you read that right. Fire-fighting ANGEL lion. He has gold wings and everything. It's sort of mystifying.

And now... brace yourself. We're going to be seeing a LOT of Barbies. And by a lot of Barbies, I mean more than I owned during my entire childhood. (Admittedly, I only had about 10 or so)

Almost all of these dolls were dressed (one with a broken leg), and most of them were dressed in homemade clothing that is just a bit too big for them.
I didn't know there even WERE Power Rangers dolls. Too bad this one is missing a glove.
Here's a fun fact for you. Jasmine there? Her earrings are actually part of her headmold! Pocket Princess was right!
Some kind of fancy homemade Christmas Barbie with lots of sequins in this picture...
The dress on the redhead on the left has a kind of cool design, but the bodice/sleeve material is crummy stuff and it's just too garish. I'll probably harvest the skirt material for something.
Barbie kiddies. The two in overalls have twist waists. I think they are some kinds of clones...? They have crummy hair.

Status update: This is how much we have to go.

Mermaids! I actually had this Ariel, this is the first one that was put out. Her tail is stained, but I might have my original one somewhere.
More clone-children, a really nice articulated Ken with what appears to be perfect flocking on his head (!), and an articulated redhead who I'm definitely keeping.
I find myself really drawn to this one's face.

Finally, that's it for the Barbie dolls. Now we start on... the other Barbie stuff!
I think this is a tent, but I'm not sure all the pieces are there yet.

There's also a boat, and most of (all of?) a hammock set.
There's also a canopy bed (and bedding, which isn't pictured), and sweet mother of mercy...!
It's MAXIMUS from Tangled! Worth the $3, right there! I wanted this guy when he came out, but couldn't justify buying him.

Speaking of horses, there are a lot of little toy horses in here. Someone is going to have to have a model horse collection. They're just about perfectly sized to stand in for Breyer models.
There's also most of a Barbie vet set, a small vanity that's missing a leg, what I think is an Littlest Pet Shop hamster wheel, and a set of overalls. The vet set counter is missing a leg or something, so I have the round table that I also got in this box holding it upright.

A Pound Purries kitten! I actually have one just like this back home (and a momma cat to go with), but I couldn't leave this little guy there. I think that's some canopy bedding with him.
Barbie collies! I think they're Barbie, at least. They don't stand well, and the white one is missing the fur piece on one leg. VERY cute, though.
 There was also a sweet-looking rag doll and a couple of My Little Ponies! Moondancer looks a bit squashed and has had a paint-stain makeover, but the So-Soft Pony (no idea of the name) is actually in pretty good shape. The flocking is still nice.
Whew... we're almost done, here! Hey Purr, can I interest you in some Despicable Me minions and a purple dragon? I have no idea what the flower thing or the seashell thing are.
This cat-thing looks oddly familiar, but I can't place it.
This dog-thing has a Barbie-like "B" on it and a necklace with Barbie's photo, but I'm not sure it's a legit Barbie thing.

The crazy thing is I don't even care for Barbie. I'm going to swipe the parts I like/want, and donate back the ones that aren't chewed up. Sadly, MANY of the dolls have chew marks and stuff.

Phantom is trying to figure out how she can claim that canopy bed stuff, though. She can't stop rolling on it.

8 comments:

  1. That is the most excellent haul I have ever seen and for $3 bucks!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, thanks Muff! I couldn't believe it either when the lady at the register arbitrarily decided on that price! The store here is rather run down (and dirty, sad to say) and to encourage customers to move toys out of the toy room as fast as possible they will sell you a Wal-Mart bag FULL of whatever toys you want for $1. They don't care WHAT it is, as long as you get it out of there.

      The toys are just tossed into rubbermaid bins (or on the floor, if kids have been in there), so they get torn up and dirty pretty fast. I was very happy to get this stuff in such good shape overall. Sadly, almost every one of the Barbies was discovered to have bite marks, leg stains, or other 'donated doll' maladies.

      Delete
  2. wow! i want to go shopping with you! a few things i recognized: in the barbie kids picture, the second from right (red head with jumper) is kelly's friend chelsea, i had that mermaid but i don't remember what she was called,the pink frilly dress gal in the same pic looks like a redressed mrs heart. the cat-thing sort of reminds me of the cat version of "puppy surprise" where the mommy pet had a velcro opening in the tummy with all the babies in it ("there could be 3... or 4... or 5!!"- sorry i can still remember that commercial). i wonder how many of the dolls and things were donated together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This store doesn't have much of any account often, but when it happens it seems to be stuff that was all donated at once like this. I'm pretty sure almost all of this was from the same people - the Barbie stuff and 80's toys for sure. It's funny you mention Puppy Surprise, since there was a Pony Surprise mommy doll there yesterday. I didn't get her, but some 80's toy collector will be thrilled!

      I feel rather sad for the army of Barbies, nearly every single one of the 40 or so of them had chewed feet, the green staining on the legs, were broken somewhere, or otherwise had something wrong with them. I don't collect Barbie per se, so the ones that were still in good shape got cleaned up a bit and donated to another shop today.

      Delete
  3. Purr:

    Woot! Minons, a dragon... If the interns would just get the damn time machine online I'd be all set!

    I *think* that shell is some kind of compact that either came with a dress-up Ariel or one of the mermaid barbies. I think I remember seeing something like that around before, but I can't think where.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. It's called Golden Rule. They're a chain, I think. I know of at least one other one in the area.

      Delete