Saturday, June 8, 2013

Berry secret work in progress!

Still sanding (and sanding and sanding!) my test doll for my custom experiment. My previous Draculaura is being swapped out for a grayscale Frankie. Getting Lala's spraypaint job off has proven to be... problematic.

I'm using the 1,000 grit sandpaper, recommended by another customizer. It's really hard to get in all the little crevices in the joints, but hopefully this will yield a better result than the previous, unsanded effort.

I've also been told two different approaches on how to paint. I've been told to seal with matte coat before painting AND afterward, and also that forgoing the pre-seal is better. I guess we'll try the first time without and see how it holds up.

As you can see, I've got a non-paint work in progress going on, too! Forget the Novi-Stars/MH hybrids, Strawberry Shortcake/MH hybrids is where it's at! I'm sure I'm not the first to do this, but isn't she cute? She's going to be re-haired and repainted, and given a custom outfit.

The best part of this hybrid? NO special cutting/adapting/whatever needed! Just yank the head off both dolls and shove the new head on the MH doll body! It's really that easy! If you push the neck post in too far, just gently pull until the head sits naturally on the ball at the top of the neck. TADA!

I'm trying to figure out how to get a S.Shortcake head on a male MH body so she'll have a buddy. The male MH neck is a lot wider, and it's going to need some cutting to work. I've already tried cutting a little on one head, only to create a big tear in it when I tried pushing it on the neck. The "ball" on top of the male neck isn't as curved as the female, so it's a little harder to center on. (If I had a dremel, I could try reshaping it a little).

I may end up trying out something like Muff's suggestion for making a cardboard collar to hold it on. I have a spare head to try with ruin in the meanwhile, so we'll see how it goes.

I had found some knockoff Ddung dolls at the Dollar General store that I originally intended to use for this project, but I'm kind of in love with how the Strawberry Shortcake head mold looks with the MH body. I don't intend to paint the body on the gal here, but I might put a little paint on the head to make the skin tone match better. Or... I might just wait until the Ever After High dolls come out and use one of their bodies.

1 comment:

  1. I was wondering which kind of strawberry shortcake dolls do you use for this. Are they the new ones or older ones?

    ReplyDelete